Nurseries are undoubtedly one of the sweetest spaces to dream up. They are also such an important part of the nesting process for expecting parents. Lanie and Brent Draper of Rooted KC were thrilled when their client let them surprise them with this sweet space as they focused on other ways to prepare for their baby boys arrival. With almost unlimited creative freedom, their client’s only request was an earthy color palette and a room that would grow with their child.
“Before we went crazy in design land, we laid out the room to ensure our ideas for the layout would be functional as the roofline interfered with all but one of the walls,” explains Lanie. “I love minor trials like this because these little quarks always result in a charming nook that make a space even more adorable.”
Most nurseries are designed with the crib being the center focus,. Instead, they created heavy drama around the tallest wall in the room with a hand painted buffalo check wall.
With the addition of paint, this once beige box quickly transformed into a nursery full of personality! A favorite in this nursery are the gold swing arm sconces above the nightstands. When the little guy outgrows his crib, a full size bed will fit perfectly inside of the nightstands!
The last piece or decor they found was the cute little bear art, and they instantly knew it would be the sweetest addition to this space. At the nursery reveal, their clients went gaga over the bear as one of the names they were considering and ultimately chose the name Barrett for him.
“We hope you find our nursery and design tips inspirational as you prepare to create a truly unique and adorable space of your own.”
1 . Sconces- Low light, no problem. These wall sconces provide both task and ambient lighting.
2. Dresser-Up cycle family pieces such as this dresser. A fresh coat of paint, new hardware and Voila!
3. Book Shelves- These custom wood and leather book shelves are a perfect match to the rest of the room.
4. Rug- Shag rugs are perfect for a nursery! This rug is not only soft but its’ non-competing pattern compliments the buffalo check wall.
1. Babies might be small, but they sure do require a lot of “stuff”. Conceal the every day clutter with cute baskets.
2. Creating an eye-catching nursery can have an impact on your pocket book so it’s important to create a space they can grow into. Swap the crib out for a big kid bed and adjust a few little accessories and you’re good to go!
3. Space plan ahead of time to make the most of cozy corners. Sometimes unexpected placement of furniture creates the most unique room.