Bodies Health & Fitness
Staying active and keeping fit through the holidays and winter months has proven to be a challenge for most people. Even for personal trainers it can be a struggle some times. People ask us all the time; what should I do when I go to the family’s house for the long weekend, how do I stay away from all the sweets, how do I stay motivated when it’s so cold outside, my work is catering holiday lunch-what am I supposed to do?
Here are some tips on how to remain or get healthy through the winter months. These tips apply to family members of all ages, so get everyone involved!
- 1. Get a piece of paper that you can keep in your pocket or put a memo in your phone as your screen saver, whatever works for you. Write down WHY you want to remain or get healthy and keep it somewhere that you can be reminded of it often.
- 2. Ask yourself: “Is this good for me?” If the answer is yes, then enjoy it. If the answer is no, then get out your reminder and read it, and see if you still want to eat or drink the item in question.
- 3. Fitness should be fun! Find something you love doing, and stick with it.
- 4. Find a workout buddy. It’s nice having someone to hold you accountable for showing up. Showing up is half the battle.
- 5. Competition can be motivation. Derive a family chart of goals for the day: 8 glasses of water, 30 minutes of activity, no desserts, etc. Put your name on a piece of paper for each thing you earned, and at the end of the month have a drawing, and the winner gets a new workout outfit or new cool water bottle, or whatever you would find to be a motivating prize.
- 6. Go on family walks/runs, play active games, i.e. tag, softball, kickball, basketball etc.
- 7. Drink 8 to 10, 8 ounce glasses of water EVERY day. Often times, people mistake hunger for thirst. So if you think you are hungry, try drinking a glass of water before you eat anything else.
- 8. Drink 16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up; drink it as you are getting ready for work, before you even leave your house. This will jump start your metabolism and get you going for the day.
- 9. Drink 16-20 ounces of water before you go to your holiday parties, family dinners or social gatherings. It will fill your stomach, and you won’t be able to eat as much as you normally would have.
- 10. Eat 8-10 servings of veggies per day. A serving is ½ cup cut veggies or 1 cup dark leafy greens. This will also fill your tummy and not leave room for junk. Most importantly, it will provide you with essential vitamins and nutrients you need.
- 11. For picky eaters- Puree veggies in blender, and add them to spaghetti sauce, chili, soups etc.
- 12. Have FUN!
Information Provided by Bodies Health & Fitness 816-524-7733
1100 SECentury Dr. Lee’s Summit